The Ozaukee Washington Land Trust (OWLT) is seeking a passionate and qualified individual to help accomplish our ecological goals across 32 preserves.
Based primarily in the field, Land Stewards will work closely with OWLT staff to conserve and restore Land Trust properties in Ozaukee and Washington Counties. In addition to assisting with land management and maintenance, Land Stewards will help to successfully integrate volunteer training and involvement, participate in long-term ecological monitoring, support conservation education, and assist with duties related to conservation easements and management plans.
Stewardship inspires an understanding and appreciation of conservation in the ever- changing fabric of our biological community. Utilizing sustainable management techniques and a hard-working mentality, stewardship employees can look forward to getting their hands dirty preserving beautiful forests, prairies, wetlands, and other natural areas within Ozaukee and Washington Counties.
Classification: This is a seasonal part-time position, schedule may be weather dependent. (On average 35+ hrs/week) (95% field, 5% office)
Supervisor: Stewardship Coordinator, Ozaukee Washington Land Trust
Supervises: Supervision of volunteers (all ages) is required
Start date: Approximately April 8, 2019 - flexible
End date: August 31, 2019* - flexible
* This position may be extended depending on the candidate and available funding
Compensation: Starting at $10.00/hr
Positions available: 1 seasonal part-time
Work Week: Monday – Friday, some Saturdays or Sundays required, with flexibility
- Ability to take initiative and work independently while prioritizing work
- Knowledge of Wisconsin native plants preferred
- Organized, professional, motivated, and able to perform a variety of tasks
- Demonstrates ability and willingness to perform physical labor in inclement weather over diverse terrain
- Experience with land conservation management techniques and tools preferred
- Enthusiasm for working with volunteers and youth groups
- Interest, experience, and/or pursuit of degree in environmental science, environmental education, resource management, or related career preferred
- Dependable vehicle and valid driver’s license is required
- Land Management and Maintenance (80%)
- Assist with site preparation, establishing native vegetation, invasive species management, trail maintenance, restoration monitoring, and general stewardship tasks on OWLT properties
- Assist with proper maintenance and management of equipment
- Stewardship Education (10%)
- Provide leadership and logistical support during stewardship/restoration program events including training, directing, and monitoring volunteer and youth group activities
- Assist in the development of education materials and interpretive signage
- Administrative tasks (5%)
- Assist with organizing equipment and supplies for volunteer events
- Assist with grant reporting
- Data Entry
- Regularly track hours, activities, and projects
- Other program activities and tasks as assigned by supervisors as needed (5%)
Please send a cover letter, resume, and the names of three references with current contact information to:
Ozaukee Washington Land Trust
c/o Stewardship Coordinator
P.O. Box 917
West Bend, WI 53095
Position open until filled. Land Trust staff will evaluate applications as they are received.
Ozaukee Washington Land Trust programs and employment are open to all. The Land Trust does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or disability in any of its policies or programs.