Ozaukee Washington Land Trust Hiring Development Director
Ozaukee Washington Land Trust Mission
Preserving the water resources, natural areas, and working lands of Ozaukee and Washington Counties.
Our efforts improve the water quality of our lakes, streams, rivers, and wetlands, protect and enhance wildlife habitat, and preserve the scenic and open spaces that define our rural landscape. By creating strong conservation relationships, we promote public awareness of the benefits of land preservation, and provide opportunities for nature-based recreation, improving the quality of life in our communities.
Since 1992 Ozaukee Washington Land Trust (OWLT) has been the region’s driving force in land preservation and protection. OWLT protects over 6,700 acres through conservation easements, partnerships, planned gifts and our 32 preserves across our community.
Title: Development Director
Reports To: Executive Director
We’re looking for a dedicated and innovative fundraising professional who is passionate about building relationships that connect the values of our members to the land trust’s transformative work: protecting the land and water of our special corner of Wisconsin.
The Director of Development works with the Executive Director, OWLT Board of Directors, Operations Manager and Program Manager, committees, conservation partners, and volunteers to ensure the long term financial stability of the organization in order to fulfill its mission and carry out its strategic plan.
- Plan and implement the organization’s fundraising strategies including major donor program, grant management, membership program oversight, planned giving and fundraising events.
- Design compelling fundraising email, print, and social media campaigns that tell the story of how our work enriches our community.
- Research, implement and experiment with ground-breaking fundraising strategies that captures the attention and wins the support of our funders.
- Work with Executive Director and OWLT Board of Directors to cultivate deeper relationships with existing and prospective donors through one-on-one meetings and donor events.
- Work with the Operations Manager, Accountant and Treasurer to develop and monitor budget for review by Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate assigned office staff and/or volunteers to carrying out duties related to development.
- Continually document and improve OWLT policies and procedures and apply Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices.
- Work as a team with Operations Manager, Program Manager, and other staff to prepare and monitor grants and direct grant reporting process. Establish procedures and systems so staff members can self-monitor and report on progress toward grant deliverables and outcomes.
- Report regularly to the Executive Director and Board of Directors on results related to progress on fundraising, strategic plan and organizational performance.
- Work with Executive Director to develop and implement a marketing plan and ensure consistent branding of OWLT marketing pieces.
- Represent and promote the organization at events and meetings as assigned.
- Work with Executive Director, Operations Manager, and Program Manager to produce annual report.
- Coordinate donor database and website improvements to improve donor experience and increase donations
Education, Skills, Experience:
- 5+ experience in fundraising, marketing, community outreach or business development
- Experience with and knowledge of fundraising/development, finance, organizational management and strategic planning.
- Proven track record in establishing goals and meeting deadlines.
- Experience preparing and managing budgets and timelines.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills.
- Experience planning, developing and managing donor/membership databases
- Experience working collaboratively with partner organizations, government agencies, funders, and volunteers.
- Ability to work in a team environment and train and delegate work to volunteers.
- Strong desire to investigate better practices, learn new skills and continually improve organizational systems and procedures.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary Range: $55,000 to $70,000
Salary is for fulltime work and will be based on experience. Employee benefits include Healthcare Stipend or Healthcare Savings Account (if applicable), retirement account (OWLT matching up to 3%).
Submit cover letter, resume, three (3) professional references, and relevant professional portfolio to Tom Stolp, Executive Director at by January 5, 2018.